Monday, March 24, 2008

Just the Tip

On my daily Starbucks run I noticed something peculiar at the counter - a tip jar. At first i only gave it a passing thought, but then I began to notice tip jars everywhere. The local burrito hut, coffee houses, and our neighborhood sandwich place all had expertly decorated tip jars at the counters. I started to wonder what kind of service would warrant me putting money in the tip jar. Should i tip if they got my order correct? Or maybe if they actually gave me the correct change, a straw (if applicable) or more than one packet of ketchup. Call me a scrooge, but are we seriously expected to give them extra money for doing their damn job.

Is it silly of me to think that people will perform their job to the best of their ability without the promise of a reward. Is it too much to ask for acceptable service, notice i didn't say great service, without relying on the potential of a tip. Has it really come to that? I've even seen tip jars at the drive-thru windows. I mean seriously folks what are you expecting a tip for? The people at the drive-thru windows don't even actually prepare the orders they are simply data entry folks and some poor schmuck in the back is running around getting the orders. I wonder if the drive-thru attendants actually split the tips with the people in the back. I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is getting a bum deal.

Perhaps the tip jar is a repository for leftover change and they are doing us all a favor relieving us of the burden of carrying around a bunch of coins, cluttering up our pockets and lives.

Maybe i should put a tip jar on my desk at work and do my part to relieve my co-workers of their extra change.

No comments: