Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Gym

Who am I to say determine what is acceptable gym behavior and etiquette. I can only discuss what i find personally offensive or just plain weird.

Number one- Jeans as workout attire, is NOT acceptable. No one who is serious about getting a good workout would ever wear jeans or jean shorts to the gym. Even if you have no intention of working out and are just there to cruise for ladies or boys you should at least fake it. Look the part.

Number two- Wife-beaters or "A-shirts". I remember the first time I went undergarment shopping with my husband. We get to the section and I totally expecting to see "wife beaters" on the package. I was truly shocked when they were labeled "A-shirts". Honestly, i didn't know them to be called by any other name. I've digressed a bit, but i thought it was kind of amusing.

At no time should any nipples be seen at the gym and that applies to both males and females. Gentleman, if you are going to wear an a-shirt as your main workout shirt. They should no be white or you should layer them.

Number three- Perfume. For heaven's sake do not, i repeat-not, reapply any perfume or body sprays before you come to the gym. It's okay to smell like skin. It's inconsiderate to those working out around you. Perspiration intensifies smells both good and bad. Nothing is worse than being trapped on a treadmill next to someone who smells like a flowery gym sock. The perfume does not mask the body odor. In fact i think it does the opposite. I don't know about your gym, but mine smells like sweat, not funky, but athletic and everyone at the gym smells like that. Anything that doesn't smell "athletic" is very noticeable. So be kind to your fellow gym rat and wear your natural scent to the gym. We really don't mind.

No comments: